Thursday, November 25, 2010

Story

I have spent a lot of time lately wandering the tunnels of my memory. One story stuck in my head, perhaps because it has been so cold here lately.

The last night of our Alaska trek last August, we camped on a windswept plateau where the bush plane was to pick us up the next day. This was our guide's last trip of the season, and his tents were really summer tents, not ideal for early fall in the high backcountry of Alaska. The wind whipped through the mesh sides of the tents, and the temperature dropped below freezing that night. Seth and I shared a tent, and during the night Seth got out of his sleeping bag and into mine. Although we were squeezed in my mummy bag, I was happy to have his body warmth. However, Seth kept moving lower in the bag, seeking warmth, and I was worried that he was going to smother, so I kept unzipping the bag more so he could breathe, whereupon he would move lower in the bag. Eventually I had the bag unzipped to my waist and I was colder than when he arrived. Nevertheless, it's a happy memory, because I was with Seth and I love him so much. My love for him feels like a bright hot granite fire in my chest.

I wish that I would have the chance to do more camping with Seth and Miles. I would like to foster in them my love for the outdoors.

Ethan

2 comments:

  1. Parents and grandparents permitting, I'll plan to take them camping here in Maine on next visit! And every year for that matter... I've been thinking about the same thing and wanting to do more of that for my boys.

    I'm glad you've been able to snuggle with Miles lately BTW. I remember in June, you couldn't and it felt like the most unfair thing. For me there is nothing more healing than a snuggle with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing that you will be there for them makes me really happy, Seth. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete