I haven't posted much this past week because I haven't felt well enough, so I have accumulated some things that I wanted to mention.
I wanted to thank some folks who helped feed us during my mom's absence (she returned late Sunday). Crispin and Jim gave us a tasty lasagna last Wednesday. Grace's parents came up last Thursday and Grace's mom cooked us a delicious dinner and left ingredients for another dinner.
I wanted to thank the Scholtz family for some gifts. When he heard about my upset stomach, Ben gave me some Mallard's lemon ginger sorbet, because ginger is supposed to be good for digestive ailments. I'm not sure if that's true, but I believe Mallard ice cream is good for the soul (I just enjoyed a bowl of it with the vodka-soaked cherries that Jim and Crispin gave us). Ben's parents, Richard and Helen, gave us two CDs that they recorded with Tom Hunter. Miles loves them and has been singing the songs. Grace was playing one of them on the CD player/radio in the kitchen and Miles recognized one of the songs that Richard played on the autoharp when they were over for dinner and Miles asked Grace: "Why is Mister Richard on the radio?" I find myself singing along as well. I don't sing often but enjoy it when I do. I think maybe I should sing more.
I played basketball twice last week even though I wasn't feeling well. I usually feel better after I play; I have never regretted playing. But I get tired easily now and then I get lazy, especially on defense. The numbness in my feet makes me feel like I am running in boots. But every time I play I have a couple plays that remind me that I used to be pretty good. Last week there was one play where Dave Rystrom passed to me on the fast break and I didn't see the ball until it almost hit me so I didn't have time to think before I dribbled, spun, and laid the ball in between two defenders.
I got a massage last week, the first full-body massage I think I've ever had, and it was great. I had previously enjoyed a reflexology massage from this massage therapist, Renee, at the cancer center, where she volunteers. I highly recommend her (http://www.reneemarie.net/). The only downside is that her studio is in Ferndale. One of the books about terminal illness (by the way, I'm not reading any more books about dying - I get the idea) made the point that physical touch with others is very important to terminally ill people, which makes sense to me.
The Celtics were on TV three times last week, but the best game was their win on Sunday against the Lakers. If the Celtics have all their players healthy, I think they are the best team in the NBA. But that's a big "if" for an older team over a long season. It was great to see their center Kendrick Perkins back on the court after his knee injury in the Finals last year. When Kevin Garnett has that spring in his step, the Celtics become a championship-caliber team. I sometimes forget that KG used to be a dominant player, because there is no single star in the Celtics' system. I have a growing appreciation for Ray Allen. I have sometimes been frustrated by his inconsistency in the playoffs, but he is playing well this year. It's impressive how he has maintained his level of play into his late 30s. His jump shot is a thing of beauty - the elevation, the quick release, the follow-through. When he's hot, it looks like he is just placing the ball in the basket from 25 feet away. But my favorite is still Paul Pierce. He has become such an efficient scorer and a dedicated defender. I like how he is deliberate and doesn't rush things. And he was there through the lean years, so I'm glad he gets to be on a good team now.
Ethan
Hi Ethan,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. But delighted to hear about Hawaii. I think ginger can be helpful in general (not necessarily or only in cancer/chemo's effects). Ginger beer, ginger tea, and chewy ginger candy especially.
Here are a couple of links to Atul Gawande interviews on npr from last year. I had not heard of him somehow, but heard a promo for a talk on palliative care & wanted to catch it. What an important voice in American medicine!
best wishes to you all
Carrie S.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128828629
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-08-24/new-studies-palliative-care
Dear Carrie - thanks for the links!
ReplyDelete