Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hi from Hawaii

Grace and I arrived late Friday night. We are staying at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel on the west side of Maui. An excerpt from our guide book: "Older but still attractive, this charming hotel is full of aloha. Locals say that it's one of the few resorts on the island where you can get a true Hawaiian experience. The entire staff takes part in the hotel's ongoing Po'okela program to learn about the history, traditions, and values of Hawaiian culture, and shares its knowledge and stories with guests."

Yesterday was Grace's birthday. We had a nice day. We went snorkeling just down the beach from the hotel at a rocky point known as Pu'u Keka'a (or Black Rock). I didn't feel sick while in the water. Clear water, great visibility. Lots of tropical fish. I saw a big sea turtle. But the coolest thing was that I could hear the humpback whales singing offshore. I don't know how far away they were because I didn't see them. But underwater you could hear their eerie keening.

We relaxed by the pool in the afternoon. For a special birthday dinner we went to a French restaurant in Lahaina (the town just south of Ka'anapali) called Gerard's that is said to be the best restaurant on Maui. We enjoyed the eight-course seafood tasting menu and shared a half-bottle of Acacia 2007 chardonnay (in honor of my friend Michael, formerly the winemaker at Acacia).

This morning we went to the special Chinese New Year brunch at the hotel. Lots of good Chinese food, although not as good as Grace's mom's cooking. I'm watching the Celtics beat the Magic right now. This afternoon is the Super Bowl (Go Packers!). The hotel is setting up screens by the pool and tiki bar so we can watch outside.

Unfortunately my camera is not working so we may not have any photographic evidence that we were in Hawaii (or any pictures of Grace in her bikini - trust me, she looks good!). Also unfortunately my bone pain has increased a little, so I put on a Fentanyl patch for the first time in a couple of weeks. It feels like I've been punched in the thighs and shoulders.

Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment