Thursday, December 16, 2010

Chemo update

My mom came with me to my chemo infusion, as she usually does. Compared to the old infusion center out on Cordata, the temporary one at the hospital is slightly closer to us, but more cramped and lacks windows. Fortunately the nurses are the same and they are all really nice. If I live long enough, I may get to experience the new infusion center that PeaceHealth is building as part of a new integrated cancer center near the hospital. It is supposed to be nice and open in late 2012.

Although I don't enjoy the chemo itself, I enjoy the way it has become a regular quality time for my mom and me to spend together. We talk and read until I space out. In addition to the chemo drugs, they give me a drug called Lorazepam (brand name: Ativan) to relax and make the time go by quicker. I like this drug. After getting it today, I was having strange but pleasant daydreams mixed with snippets of the conversations of the patients around us. I have Lorazepam pills at home, but they don't seem to have the same kick as the IV form. The doctors seem willing to give me any sort of "chill pills" that I want, if anyone has any other recommendations (I have Xanax too). Fortunately I haven't felt the need to take any of them lately, as I haven't felt overly stressed. That's probably in part because I've been feeling relatively good, and also the Sertraline (brand name: Zoloft), which seems in me to induce a "whatever" reaction to many things, for better or worse. Dying? Whatever. Work deadline? Whatever. Unfortunately the Sertraline also seems to cause me to clench my jaw (called bruxism, I learned), which gives me a headache and sore teeth, so I am going to try lowering my Sertraline dosage from 100 mg to 50 mg daily. I would also just like to feel more normal emotionally, as long as that doesn't include incapacitating despair.

After chemo I had an upset stomach/stomach ache, but fortunately that didn't stop me from eating and enjoying the delicious dinner that my dad made: a turkey meatloaf with lots of veggies in it, mashed potatoes (with assist from Grace), Brussels sprouts, and salad. Miles LOVES Brussels sprouts, which he sometimes calls "little cabbages." Grace was trying to get him to eat some of his other food in order to get more Brussels sprouts, which seemed amusingly backwards to us. Miles then entered into negotiations with Grandma Kathy (sitting on his other side) to acquire her last Brussels sprout. He was actually whispering in hopes that Grace would not veto the deal (she allowed it).

My mom made yummy baked apples for dessert, which reminded me of my childhood. After Miles's bedtime, we watched President Obama's cameo on the "Mythbusters" TV show.
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-presidents-challenge.html

This morning my stomach feels better but I have a sore throat (the chemo drugs attack fast-growning cells such as cancer cells but also the cells that line your throat) and hiccups (side effect of Emend).

Ethan

2 comments:

  1. Ethan,
    Just finished reading your blog for December--please do continue--a wonderful way to keep up w/your dailiness w/o too much effort on your part. Tell your dad to lighten up!! The old Remmel pessimism/depression leaking out. You sound and look so much better than what he told me and you're living your LIFE, and a wonderful one it is too. Stay calm and carry on. Aunt Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Vicki! My dad has been a great presence here, not gloomy at all, so no worries there. Thanks also for your recent letter. You mentioned the program you developed for those dying of AIDS. Back around 1994 I volunteered for a program like that in San Francisco called Shanti Project. I was matched with a man named William and spent a lot of time with him during the last months of his life. I was not with him when he died, however, as I was in New Zealand with my parents. I called to wish him a merry Christmas from New Zealand and learned from his brother that he had died. Thanks also for the quote from Gilda Radner - I don't think I've achieved her acceptance of uncertainty, but it's something to aim for.

    ReplyDelete