Saturday, December 18, 2010

Good Friday

Seth and Miles have been having fun playing with Grandpa and Grandma. Paper airplanes have been popular. Seth folded a boat from a regular piece of paper that stayed afloat in a pot of water for two days - I thought that was pretty impressive.

Friday was a nice sunny day here. My mom and dad and I had breakfast at Harris Ave Cafe (we're getting to be regulars there). Later my dad and I drove down Chuckanut Drive to Larrabee State Park and hiked up to Fragrance Lake - a nice walk through the woods with an overlook of Chuckanut Bay along the way and a pretty little lake at the end. That evening we all (Grace, Miles, Seth, Grandma Kathy, Grandpa Chuck, and I) had dinner with the Wangs (Grandpa Frank, Grandma Martha, Gene & Jamie & Jordan & Jackson, Gary) at Grace's parents' house in north Seattle. Grace's mom made a delicious feast, my mom brought a yummy pear dessert, and Gary provided "red velvet" cake. The three older boys played well together, and Miles orbited between them and Grace. We opened presents. Grace's brothers got me a sweet Rondo Celtics shirt and two Patriots caps. I think everyone had a really good time - I know I did. Thanks to the Wangs for hosting us! We hope to return the hospitality when my sister's family is here.

This morning my mom and dad and Seth and I and our neighbor Gene went to the monthly Swedish pancake breakfast at the Sons of Norway hall (we're also getting to be regulars there!). Afterward I borrowed Gene's pickup truck (thanks Gene!) and got a Christmas tree. Seth picked out a beautiful 6-foot noble fir and my dad and I set it up in the dining room and Miles helped us decorate it.

Some pics of all these doings: http://remmel.shutterfly.com/2069

We're off to Harrison Hot Springs in BC tomorrow afternoon through Tuesday. I was a little tired today, perhaps from all these fun doings, but the hot springs are a good place to relax and rejuvenate.

Ethan

2 comments:

  1. Ethan: stalker friend of your parents' here. ( I hope I am not presumptuous in thinking that.) I just want to say that when I come to see what you have written, as I have for some months now, I always approach the page with trepidation; I know how difficult this path is that you're on. And every time, I am blessed and humbled by your thoughts about glorious sweet time with family, the yummy suppers, the walks and the mountains and the hot springs, the time spent rolling around with kids, the half court pick-up b-ball games: that is the best of what life has to offer. You're reminding the rest of the world how to notice, how to appreciate, how to live. I think of you often and wish you all the best. Carrie S, Portland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Carrie: thank you! I like getting comments on the blog, so thanks. I'm sorry for your loss (my mom told me), but grateful for your kind words. I hate to think of my beloved Grace as a widow, but I know she will survive and thrive - she is such a strong and vibrant woman. Despite our losses, life and hope and happiness will go on.

    ReplyDelete