Seth, Lynn, and my mom Kathy all returned to Bellingham safely and it has been nice to see them. I didn't feel well yesterday (Monday) and spent most of the day sleeping. I had class this morning and after class I felt better, enough so that I worked through the afternoon in my office. I find that teaching my class focuses my mind, activates my brain, and distracts me from my problems. It helps that I have a good group of graduate students - smart, engaged, inquisitive. I walked home and got to meet and spend some time with Grace's good friend Lorraine from Penn State (where Grace taught before WWU), who is attending a conference in Seattle and so was able to visit us in Bellingham.
The NBA playoffs start this weekend. The Celtics are setting expectations low lately, losing lopsided games to their chief Eastern Conference rivals Chicago and Miami in the past week. I'm hoping for a resurgence of this:
Celtic Pride! (And mullets too.)
Speaking of the NBA and resurgence, I am not happy about the resurgence of the Bulls for the Celtics' playoffs chances, but I am happy for Bulls first-year coach Tom Thibodeau, the former Celtics assistant coach and defensive mastermind. He should win NBA Coach of the Year (although I wouldn't argue with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich).
Ethan

Dear Ethan - This is Jennifer (Henderlong) here from your old graduate school days. I've been meaning to comment for months now...I've been following your blog since Vikram directed me here last summer. I am in awe of your perspective and balance through this ordeal. Your posts have been inspirational to me in terms of focusing on the sources of quality living. You seem to have that figured out in a way we all should be aiming to emulate. Thank you for sharing your insights and your experiences. Frankly you have pushed me to find greater peace with the idea of death, which is something we all must confront. I also wanted you to know that my 3-year-old, Joey, and I have been praying for you every night since I learned of your diagnosis. Of course we pray for healing but we mostly pray for peace in your heart, and I would venture to say that you've achieved the latter. I'm wishing you and your family many continuing days of quality time together. They are very blessed to have you! Jennifer
ReplyDeleteHi Jennifer - thanks! It's nice to hear from you. I used to joke that you swiped my dream job: the developmental psych position at Reed College in Portland OR. But I actually couldn't be happier than I have been with my position at WWU. Sometimes things work out for the best.
ReplyDelete~Ethan
By the way, I'm doing a unit on Carol Dweck's theory in my developmental class this week and whenever I encounter the topic of the use of praise with children I think of you and your research.
ReplyDeleteI'm also hoping for a resurgence of short-shorts in basketball. Can we please lose the baggy capri pants everyone is wearing now?
ReplyDelete