Relevant to the part of my Jan. 20 post (http://ethanremmel.blogspot.com/2011/01/random-rantings.html) about originalism and my disagreement with it, there is an article by Jill Lepore in the Jan. 17 issue of "The New Yorker" (which I just read - I'm a little behind) about constitutional interpretation and originalism vs. the liberal/progressive "living Constitution" alternative (our side needs a catchy name - part of our problem):
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/01/17/110117crat_atlarge_lepore
On a less serious note, the World Champion San Francisco Giants star relief pitcher and known eccentric Brian "Fear the Beard" Wilson recently appeared on the George Lopez TV show and demonstrated his Will Ferrell-esque sense of humor (thanks Andy Bunn for the tip):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC52rkgkNgU
I don't know what our side should call it, but we should definitely try to get everyone to start calling their side "Literalism."
ReplyDeleteMaybe our side can be Wilsonism, as in, applying constitution standards in a world that has evolved to include Brian Wilson.