Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back from San Francisco

Seth and I returned to Bellingham from the Bay Area last night. My mom picked us up at the Bellingham airport. She had a snack for Seth in the car and a yummy dinner waiting at home. Grace and Miles were also waiting at home. Miles had just taken a bath and smelled good when I hugged him.

It snowed while we were away and there is still snow and ice on the ground. We may get more snow tonight, depending on the temperature (currently 35 degrees).

It was a good trip but a hard one for me physically. Scheduling it right after chemo (I disconnected the chemo pump Thursday and we flew out Friday morning) may have been overly optimistic on my part. I felt tired and sick to my stomach a lot of the time. Feeling sick can make me crabby, but I tried to stay positive. I tried not to let Seth see that I wasn't feeling well, because I wanted him to enjoy the trip. This trip was really for him as much as or more than for me. He wanted to go to San Francisco and visit Toby and Jacob, although I certainly liked the idea too. And I think Seth did have a good time. With everything going on in his life, it was good to see him having fun and seeming like his normal self, just being a kid.

We flew into Oakland and took BART to downtown San Francisco. We had lunch at Tu Lan, a Vietnamese dive on seedy 6th St that I like. It's the same as always - narrow, crowded, noisy, waiters and cooks yelling to each other, sizzling sounds and clouds of steam from the tiny open kitchen behind the counter. I recognize some of the people working there. Cheap huge portions. Men elbow-to-elbow at the counter woofing them down. Faded positive reviews from Julia Child and Herb Caen in the front window. "Best of the Bay Guardian 1995" banner on the back wall. Long menu in Vietnamese. I always point to the item with the longest name - it's noodles with BBQ pork and a spring roll on top. Good flavors intermixed - mint, peanut, scallion, etc. I can taste it now as I type. I have a picture of Seth eating at Tu Lan on my desk, from a visit to SF in June 2007, when he was 4, about to turn 5. Compare it to the picture I took on this visit:


No comments:

Post a Comment