Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Comments

I would like to thank everyone who has posted comments on the blog. I really enjoy reading people's comments, so thank you!

I deleted my recent post about Burning Man just because I decided that I was a little self-conscious about having a half-naked picture of me covered in mud circulating in digital perpetuity. Especially since I've claimed that I'm glad that our generation's youthful indiscretions were not recorded online. Anyway, y'all got a chance to see it. I've got lots more funny pics from our past, but I think they'll stay in my photo albums. You'll have to visit if you want to see them!

I added the copyright notice to the top of the blog on the recommendation of the editor at a magazine where I may publish some version of some of this material as a blog on their website. I'll let you know if/when that happens.

Ethan

4 comments:

  1. I was on the Stanfurd campus tonight and was thinking about you, because of your regrettable connection there. I was supposed to be at a building called Hillel Center. It took me about 30 minutes of walking around to find the place. Everyone on campus seems lost and cannot provide directions.

    Do you welcome stupid comments? I'm watching a documentary on okie noodling. I've watched it before. But I like the hand fishers. Have you noodled?

    Also, a request - have you seen Jimmer play? If so, your thoughts? There seems be a lot of excitement about BYU's Jimmer Fredette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to google okie noodling. Watched the first video listed: http://www.spike.com/video/okie-noodling-ii/3000859
    OMG, as the kids say. Maybe I can convince my dad to give up fly fishing for noodling. But I think he has too many teeth to be a good noodler.

    I saw Jimmer in the NCAA tournament last year. I actually picked BYU to go to the Final Four, in part because of Jimmer. But they got knocked out in the Sweet Sixteen by K-State. Maybe this year.

    Jimmer's a scorer. I was impressed by his 43 points (14 of 24 shooting) in their recent win over previously undefeated San Diego State: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUqYJnBvW6Q

    I doubt he can score like that in the NBA. But he can definitely shoot, and there's always a place for a guy who can make open three-pointers consistently. If Jerry Sichting can have an NBA career, so can Jimmer. But I think his upside is more like Ben Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea of what okie noodling is and maybe I'll check it out later, but in the meantime, YES to thinking about republishing.

    Ethan -- you are a gifted writer. Using only a couple of paragraphs you can make me happy, terrified, unspeakably sad, and then have me chuckling out loud. (And I didn't even know you during your Burning Man years.)

    As long as your writing gives you pleasure, many of us appreciate it and I'm sure we're not the only ones who would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for breaking down oakie noodling and Jimmer Frederette. I am going to research Drakes Bay. Maybe for the next Mancation we can oakie noodle. From that video it seems like a great team sport. Apparently the biggest danger of oakie noodling is that beavers can occupy catfish burrows and beavers have a mean bite, as you know.

    ReplyDelete