Grace, my mom, and I met with my oncologist Patrick Nestor today. We discussed the results of my PET scan from last Wednesday. Dr. Nestor showed us on the computer screen the images from my first PET scan in early June versus this one, two months and four rounds of chemotherapy later. The difference was dramatic. In the first scan, it looked like my entire skeleton was glowing from all the areas where the cancer had spread, plus the colon where the cancer originated. In the new scan, you couldn't see any cancer activity anywhere, although apparently the radiologist who read the scan and wrote the accompanying report could still see some in a few places with the superior resolution of their equipment. Regardless, Dr. Nestor said that it was really remarkable improvement, beyond what he would have expected. My CEA number (a measure of cancer activity taken from blood) has also dropped from over 100 in early June to 2.7 on July 26 (normal range is 0 to 2.5 or 3). They drew blood again today so I should get an updated CEA number tomorrow.
We then discussed treatment options. Because there has been such improvement, we could stop using some of the chemotherapy drugs. The advantage of doing that would be that I might feel better, as most of the chemo drugs have possible yucky side effects. The disadvantage of doing that would be that it might allow the cancer to start spreading again sooner, although the research on that is unclear.
Side note: my main side effect during this last round of chemo was fatigue for about a week. Fatigue may not sound that bad, but this isn't just a little sleepy. This is like your body has turned to lead and there is a giant weight pressing down on you such that you can barely move, think, talk, or, ironically, sleep. Even so, I was able to be somewhat active every day, but sometimes only with great effort. Given the wide range of possible yucky side effects, however, I suppose I should count my blessings.
Anyway, I texted Sam Whiting, the oncologist at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance who I have seen for second opinion consultations and who is an expert in my type of cancer (Dr. Nestor is more of a generalist). Because Dr. Whiting is a saint and the living embodiment of all that is good, he called me back within minutes and took as long as I wanted to discuss treatment options (time that he's probably not going to be able to bill anyone for). Dr. Whiting had some suggestions, which I relayed to one of Dr. Nestor's nurses, who will relay them to Dr. Nestor. So I'm not sure what we're going to do tomorrow morning when I go in for chemo, but we're leaning toward continuing to use most or all of the drugs for now.
I came home and took a walk down by the bay with my friend Tami, who is visiting from Berkeley (her first time ever away from her two young daughters - we are honored!). Then my mom prepared a nice dinner for all of us. Then Tami put Miles to bed while Grace and I went to a movie ("The Kids Are All Right"). Then we said our goodbyes to Tami, who leaves early tomorrow morning.
cheers,
Ethan
Ethan, this is FABULOUS news. I am so glad to hear that you are responding so well already! Lana
ReplyDeleteFantastic that you have responded so well to the chemo! So great that Dr. Whiting is available to you like he is, and that he gave you some expert advice to pass on. Hope you get some of your energy back... Jeff
ReplyDeleteGreat news, very positive! You and your family are always in our thoughts!
ReplyDeleteEthan - Fantastic news! Made me smile all the way through. Take care & continue on this wonderful course!
ReplyDeleteGreat news Ethan. We are so happy!!! it brought tears of happiness to my eyes. The kids jumped up and down and cheered "yeahhhh Ethan!!!" One more blessing to count...
ReplyDeleteThat is GREAT news. Fred also had a very supportive experience with CCA. They are a wonderful resource to our area. We think the Boulevard Park walks and sunsets are factors in your progress! Thanks for doing the Blog.
ReplyDelete