Monday, August 30, 2010

Yard work

The weather was nice today - sunny and warm but not hot. I worked in the yard, primarily trimming the hedge but also other little jobs. I like yard work. I like being outside, the physical activity, and the tangible results (a trimmed hedge!). I like tending my little plot of land and all the plants growing there (although I'm no master gardener - I spend most of my time whacking weeds back). After eight years of pruning and picking, the fruit trees in particular feel like old friends.

Speaking of which, it's still raining apples here, if anyone wants any (nobody responded to my previous offer - is it that hard to give away apples in Bellingham this time of year?). My mom has been furiously canning applesauce, baking apple cake, etc., but even she can't keep up so I may have to call the gleaners (last year they picked 227 pounds of apples and 21 pounds of pears from our trees). The plums are getting close too.

Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment