Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday update

Wednesday morning Eric, Meredith, and I walked to Clayton Beach. It was very windy and wavy but still pretty.

Wednesday evening Eric, Troy, Seth, and I watched the WWU women's basketball team beat Montana State-Billings in the second round of the GNAC (Great Northwest Athletic Conference) playoffs. WWU hosts Alaska-Anchorage Saturday evening in the GNAC title game - the winner gets an automatic bid to the national Division II tournament, although WWU should get an at-large bid even if they lose on Saturday.

Unfortunately my bone pain has increased recently, requiring me to use more painkillers to control it. Thursday morning I got Seth ready and took him to school, trying not to let him see that I was literally gasping with pain. Nevertheless, Eric and I played half-court basketball at noon, which was fun even though I couldn't move faster than a hobble due to pain in my right leg.

Thursday afternoon Eric, Meredith, and I walked down to Lynn's house, picked up Seth, and shot hoops with him at Larrabee (Seth's former elementary school). Seth really wanted to play basketball with us, and it was fun for all of us. Eric Paige, the Larrabee principal, saw us playing and came out and greeted Seth and me with big hugs. I also know Eric Paige because I supervised his sister Ashley's master's thesis at WWU.

Thursday evening we got a babysitter for Miles and Grace, Eric, Meredith, and I went out to dinner at Nimbus, one of the nicer restaurants in town (http://www.nimbusrestaurant.com/). I had a delicious dinner of local oysters on the half shell with passionfruit pearls, a bistro salad, a Nimbus slider (mini-hamburger), parmesan poached Alaskan halibut, and their chocolate dessert. Grace took some photos with her new digital camera:



This morning Eric accompanied me as I got a CT scan, which should give us more information about the location and extent of the cancer. I should hear the results this afternoon or early next week. I have chemo scheduled for next Tuesday, although I don't know if I'm going to do it, or which chemo regimen I will do if I do it (continue with FOLFIRI, which seems to be decreasing in effectiveness, or try FOLFOX, which has similar toxicity and may have slightly worse side effects).

One of the clinical trials that I am looking at wanted a recent CT scan, so I will send the results to them. There was an interesting article about clinical trials for cancer treatment in the New York Times yesterday: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/health/views/03chen.html

This evening I will pick up Hannah and Henry at the Bellingham airport and go out to dinner with them, Eric & Meredith, Grace & Miles, and Lynn & Seth.

Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment