Many of you may have heard the news by now, and if not, I'm sorry that you are reading about it for the first time here. Ethan died yesterday, Monday June 13th, surrounded by his loved ones. Both his parents held a hand, Eric stood with us, and I was snuggled in his arms, holding him, and loving him as we all have, for as long as we have known him.
Strange as it may be to say, the past year was a gift. Immediately after the diagnosis, we weren't sure if he was even going to survive the hospital stay. Not only did he survive another year, we -- Team Remmel, of which you are all a part -- were truly blessed with many adventures (hikes, long walks, family vacations, another season of The Office, lots of sports games on TV) and times of happiness. Ethan and I took our first vacation together, to Hawaii -- without the kids! -- and I will treasure those sunny days forever.
On Sunday afternoon, we all went to Clayton Beach. It was a beautiful day, and I am grateful that his last day was spent frolicking in the waters, playing with his sons, and loving all of us.
He leaves behind a very, very sad family and community of friends and fans. His sons will continue his beautiful spirit. I have never known a braver man who faced death with so much more dignity and grace (ha).
Thank you, Team Remmel!
Grace,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you and Ethan found each other. You were a great partner for him before he was sick, and an amazing partner during his illness. And Miles and Seth are lucky to have such a strong woman as a mom/step-mom.
Love, Kristi
Thank you, Ethan!
ReplyDeleteJeff
Thank you Grace for continuing to share your family's experiences and encouraging Ethan to do the same. I agree with the above - Ethan was lucky to have found you, and the boys are fortunate to have such a wonderful woman in their life to lead them forward from here.
ReplyDeleteAaron
Thank you for the beautiful message and pictures Grace. I have been looking at them again throughout the day. Can't wait to see you and Team Remmel. Love Jon
ReplyDeleteGrace, Kathy, Chuck, Miles, Seth, all Team Remmel, all family,
ReplyDeleteI wish living through this already meant at least I knew what to say or a way to help. But instead I just know how it feels. I'm so sorry. Thank you for the chance to get to know you and your beautiful family a little bit. The dignity and strength and presence and grace (yes) you have all shown is a reminder of what is important, and you are surrounded by love and honor and awe. Please write to me if you feel like it, anytime, forever, and I will too. Much love, Carrie S.
Hi Grace,
ReplyDeleteI'm one of the editors at Psychology Today. We wanted you to know that you remain in our thoughts. We feel honored to have been able to have your family's story and Ethan's brave and honest insights on our website. Much sympathy to you, Carlin