I was talking to my friend Eric a while ago about the Death With Dignity medication. I was saying that it was hard to know if or when to use it because I have had so many ups and downs over the past year - times when I was really not feeling well followed by times when I was feeling OK. So how would I ever know that this was the time - the time when improvement was not around the corner? Maybe, I speculated, when that time comes, you just know.
I can answer my own question now, in the affirmative. When that time comes, you do just know. My quality of life has fallen below unacceptable to me, and it's not coming back. The disease is a runaway train, and we can wait for it to go off the rails on its own, with all the possible attendant suffering, or I can jump off now. I'm choosing to jump off now, while I can still make that choice for myself.
I was able to finish the work for my graduate developmental class, which gave me an important sense of closure, as I was not able to finish that class last spring when I first got sick and had to go into the hospital.
Yesterday (Saturday) was a nice day. It was sunny and warm here. I felt the best I have all week. Seth and Miles were both here. My dad arrived from Maine. My mom brought us Ethiopian lunch (my favorite!) from the farmers market. My father-in-law Frank and my mother-in-law Martha drove up from Seattle. My former student and now friend Jamie stopped by after her graduation ceremony with her family. Jamie was wearing the ceremonial "hood" (actually more like a sash) signifying her masters degree, so I got on my fancy PhD regalia (gown and cap) from my graduation from Stanford - it was funny and fun. My best friend Eric arrived from North Carolina. We had a delicious dinner of Taiwanese food (thanks Martha!) and then sat on the deck in the late sun. I got to cuddle with Seth in the big brown lounge chair. My mom and Grace's dad traded stories of the Punic Wars and dental surgery.
By the way, some of the students and faculty in the Psychology Department at Western Washington University, where I have worked happily for the past nine years, are interested in starting a scholarship fund in my name which would every year (if we get enough) support a student with interests in child development. If anyone is interested in donating to such a fund, please contact my friend and colleague Diana Gruman (diana.gruman@wwu.edu). Grace is also happy to coordinate donations or contributions of any kind. If you feel like supporting a nonprofit in my name, my favorites are NRDC (where my good friend Jonathan works), ACLU, and Amnesty International.
Please don't feel the need to email, call, or write, as I probably won't have the time or energy to respond. If I know you, I'm confident that I know how you feel about me and that you know how I feel about you.
This past year has been difficult and exhausting, but also full of happiness. My illness, however unwelcome, has drawn me even closer to my family and friends. If people everywhere could treat each other the way you have treated me, well, that would be one big kumbaya.
So a Buddhist goes up to a hot dog vendor and says "I'll take one." The vendor says "Whaddya want on it?" The Buddhist says "Make me one with everything."
(Send complaints about the joke to Jane Kolb.)
Love,
Ethan
Ethan -
ReplyDeleteI love you for the partner you have been to my dearest friend Grace. I love you for doing your part to create Miles Alden Remmel, the most spectacular three year old on the planet.
I have been awed, inspired, moved, humbled and rendered speechless by your writings. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about your parents, sister and friends, hearing how you have honored each other with mutual affection, admiration and humor. You are a good, good man - a Gift to all.
May you feel warmth and love flowing from all corners of the earth and may Pilot offer you many kisses forevermore.
Ethan,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the very best moments of my life. I hold them close, always.
I love you,
Sarah
Doing in writing what I wish I could do in person--hold you, hug you and say I love you. At the beach with Lindsay. We will walk along the shore in the morning thinking of your love of all things ocean.
ReplyDeleteMy love goes with you, Mer
Ethan,
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how powerful it has been for you to share so much of what you have been going through on this blog and in your other writings. You have been an absolute inspiration, facing it all with such remarkable dignity. And love! Thank you for that gift.
Your friend,
Mick
Ethan, you've taught me a lot about humanity, psychology, love, and myself over the past years. Knowing you is a gift I'll hold dear forever. You have made the world a better place, thank you,
ReplyDeleteWith all my love, Ruth
You have created a special treasure place in many peoples' hearts. Mvto! (Thank you!) and deep gratitude from your colleague,
ReplyDeleteJeff
(By-the-way, Danny Ainge was a cry-baby and McHale should have been called more on his vicious swinging of those bony elbows!)
Ethan,
ReplyDeleteThank you for everything that you've given to me and all of us over the past year. This is a role that you should not have had to play, but you did it with dignity, humor, and an openness that I will never forget. I love you and you will always be in my heart.
-Kristi
Ethan,
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful soul and I feel honored to have met you. I will cherish those moments forever. You taught us so much during your pain but it has not being in vain. Every single word, every single feeling will be kept in our memories and hearts. I love you very much.
Miriam
Friends and readers,
ReplyDeleteEric here. Ethan died on Monday, June 13, around noon, sitting outside, Grace in his arms, facing the sea, with his mother holding one hand and his father the other, me there beside. He died as he lived: brave, decisive, thoughtful, generous, attentive to detail, matter of fact, filled with beauty, curiosity and love. And so sure of himself and of all of us, who love him and carry him inside ourselves, today and in the days to come.